Saturday, April 2, 2011

Southern Pan Fried Chicken

Can't believe there was no MSG...and for that I will do it all over over again.

1. After coating chicken, let them rest and have debris fall.  (Prior to coating, chicken was marinated for 12 hours in brine.  Not removing brine after 12 hours will leave very salty chicken. 

2. I usually deep fried, but Tom Keller advised pan frying 1/3.  Some use the Dutch oven.  I just used the All Clad pan for this.  It did get sticky washing off the oils.  I used peanut oil for higher heat resistance.  Canola should also be just as fine. 

3. Remove from heat to chill station.  This is important for chickens to "rest" and is still cooking.  I realized when I took my chicken out, it was not completely cooked.  I set it aside for 10 minutes, and the heat within the chicken cooked it very juicy. 

Note: My chill station is easily made by any oven/toaster rack.  Just leave paper towel or parchment paper under to absorb oil. 


Before serving, most chickens were on the chill station for more than 10 minutes, while others were cooking.  Before serving, simply heat 400F degrees and leave chicken in for 10 minutes. Ideally, you'll serve all chicken together. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment