Sunday, April 3, 2011

Filet Mignon wrapped around with Bacon

In this dish, I did not use any salt/pepper/wine while cooking.  Just natural flavors from the bacon and the filet's own flavor.  One of best flavors I had.
My parents happened to know a free-range cattle ranch family,who used grass and organic feeds.  This doesn't happen all the time for us, but getting the freshest meats is well worth it.
 The way I like my meat is tender.  Easy way is to leave out the meat in the fridge for 2-3 days before cooking.  Our family always had frozen all meats ahead.  If you use a freezer to store meat, try not to use the microwave to defrost.  The texture will not come out as lean.
SALT: This is when salt needs to be added for taste, not during cooking.  Salt will cause the meat to grow more tense and produces a less appetizing texture.  Instead, for salt users, apply it after the meat is nearly done.

HEAT:  I started with high, mainly to sear the sides of the meat.  After that, brought it back to low for 1.5 hours for slower cooking.  Before serving, medium high to cook meat according to diner's preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment